Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Wintertime....Disappointment and Some Quiet Fun

Beautiful winter day :)

Every year after the Christmas season is done I have a moment where I feel down in the dumps.  This could be because in that moment I have a moment of peace and don't know what to do with it, but with 2 boys the moment doesn't last. :) In the winter, the Hubby is a middle school wrestling coach and is not available much so we are kind of on own own.  It is also a time when the kids don't have sports or any other activities outside of Cub Scouts.  Throw in a couple of snow days and this is a quieter time of the year for me.  It is  rather peaceful at times.  Truly a time of restoration for me before springtime sets in.  

I have been able to pick up a hobby again this winter that I truly enjoy.  I started a knitting project, really a felting project.  It has been so nice to feel the yarn on my fingers and to see something grow rapidly in my hands.  This project has renewed my love for this craft and I hope to make more through the year.
Working on my felting project


Throughout the cold days this winter we have been fortunate enough to have a nice warm day in there, too.  One such day was January 8th.  It was in the upper 50s.  I checked the beehives and both looked good.  Both hives had bees flying in and out.  Following this day, we had a pretty severe cold snap.  The temps were in the single digits with wind chills well below zero.  During these days, I got into a mad homemaking mood.  Cooking, cleaning, making my own chest rub and hand salve, and knitting.  I think the family liked it at first but became aggravated quite quickly when I asked them to help with the cleaning. :)  Actually, the kids enjoyed making the chest rub and hand salve and I am glad we did...it really works well and was so easy.  I also feel good about the fact that it has no petroleum products in it and is all natural with no chemical nastiness.  Here is the link to the recipes I used:

Hand Salve: http://thehappyhousewife.com/home-management/homemade-hand-cream/

Chest Rub: http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2011/11/homemade-herbal-vapor-rub-to-relieve-coughs-and-congestion.html

I hope to make more homemade potions this year including bug repellent and healing ointment.  

Homemade potions...Hand salve on left and chest rub on the left


So, on the next warm day which was January 29th, I went to check the bees.  I found one hive with bees flying in and out and the other one quiet.  I knocked on the sides and heard no noise, so I lifted the lid and saw no one moving around.  I pulled off the top super and found the bees...dead.  On February 10th, I did a bee hive autopsy.  I found that the top super was still completely full of capped honey without a bee on it.  The next super had a small cluster of dead bees on it with many in the cells of the comb with their heads in the comb.  I cleaned off the comb looking for the queen.  She was marked and I looked and looked.  I even looked through the pile of dead bees and I couldn't find her.  I also noted that there was very few bees only a few hundred, maybe.  There was also very little brood maybe only 20 or so capped brood.  I opened them up and they weren't stringy or mummy looking.  Lastly, there was no sign of disease.  So, I don't know what happened, abscond or they didn't cluster up after the warm day?????.  Luckily, the other hive looks good.  

A beehive autopsy is sad and sticky business indeed

So, as we have these warm days my mind goes to the return of spring.  I am thinking of my gardens and bees.  I don't know if I will get another hive or see if the other one swarms.  I am planning to plant many bee friendly plants including lots of lavender. 

I had a true delight yesterday, the tulips are poking through the ground.  Truly, spring is right around the corner!!!!!

I hope all have had a happy, peaceful, and restorative winter.  God bless :)

No comments:

Post a Comment